Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tiramisu Recipe

First I went to the store to buy the pound cake...didn't have it so had to make it..but did find them ready made a couple of days later...marked 'butter pound cake'...that makes the whole system faster.

And how did I make the tiramisu you ask?? from the old Gourmet recipe..Our favorite...
I made the pound cakes...not that I like to bake
1# flour
1# sugar
1# butter
1# eggs in the shell
2T vanilla
This from The Settlement Cook Book..mine from 1941...was my mother's

The recipe for the theTiramisu...well..can't seem to make the link work...so go to http://www.epicurious.com/ and search for Our Favorite Tiramisu. It is not your standard...but really great. The changes that I made:
instead of the 1.25cup water use: 1 pk gelatin (bloom)in 1/4 c water, add 3/4c water and heat, add 1/4 cup Kaluha and add the espresso powder to that.
I also cut my pound bread in slices about 1/4-1/2" slices, and make two layers of cake ending with the cream/cheese mix topped with chocolate. **also used Davison pasturized eggs....

If you have ready made pound cake that is good it can go faster..but allow for the two hours of cooling time during the prep...and yes, forgot to take pix after putting it all together or even along the way..but easy...and it also gets the rave reviews..and it freezes well..key point..make ahead for the holidays.